Why she will LOVE her boudoir session with Kim Kelley Photo!
Boudoir is definitely one of those genres of photography that everyone can feel a bit anxious about at some point. Clients may feel nervous and think they aren’t pretty/skinny/curvy/tall enough for these types of photos. The photographer might fret that they won’t be able to provide clients with images that truly reflect their beauty because it is such a vulnerable form of imagery.
In today’s day and age, the media sets unrealistic expectations of what beauty is and about women embracing their sensuality. So having a boudoir session can create a very empowering experience – giving a woman the gift of confidence and self-love.
Here are some of my tips to help clients understand how I will create an experience that will leave you feeling like you can take on the world.
Prepping before the boudoir session:
1. I do my research upfront. I love to learn all about my clients. What makes her tick. If there is something she loves about herself? What is she self-conscious about? What do others love about her? When does she feel most beautiful? What is her reason for doing this session? Through a combination of a pre-session questionnaire and just chatting like two good girlfriends during hair and make up, we really get to know each other! ( you get to know me because I am just a blabbermouth with stories to tell!)
2. I educate her. And help her prepare so she will love her boudoir session. I provide direction when it comes to choosing outfits that are flattering for her…colors, shape, etc. Help her with hair & makeup (I provide a professional hair & makeup artist with all my boudoir shoots).
3. I address her fears & doubts. Some examples of this are: “I don’t know how to pose.” – My response, “It’s more about an action. And I’ll demo it beforehand.” Another common doubt is “I need to lose 10 lbs before this session!” My response to that, “It’s a never-ending battle. You are who you are. It’s my job to flatter you…I will do so with lighting & posing. I will enhance your shape. It’s not to change who you are, but my job is to make you the best version of who you are.”
During the photo session:
1. We get warmed up. I start with the least revealing outfit or the one she is most excited about. Turn on some music with a fun playlist that makes her feel like she can kick some ass!
2. Lead by example. I will demonstrate actions/poses for her. Give her direction on how to switch it up to continue to create amazing images.
3. Encourage her. I make sure to let her know how amazing she is doing! If something isn’t quite right I will take a shot and move on to the next pose/action. It’s not her, it’s me 🙂 And when I capture the “fire shot”, I make sure to show her the back of my camera. The good feelings sky rocket after that and I’m sure she is going to love her boudoir session!
After the boudoir session is over:
1. After all the time we spend together, I know her insecurities and I make sure to edit for them. This is also something I try to keep in mind during the shoot and will/will not do certain poses, but it is key to remember this when I am editing.
2. I keep the edits natural. While I do edit boudoir images to create flattering images of my clients, I don’t ever go overboard! I want these images to be a representation of the best version of my client, not a fake version of them. But I do promise magazine quality editing, so you will look like you, but the most amazing version of yourself!
3. I edit for emotion. It’s human nature to want to connect to images that feel powerful or evoke an emotion connection. I make sure this comes through in your imagery.
4. The reveal session is also fun! I sometimes do the reveal immediately after the session. But recently with COVID changes to my schedule, I have been holding the reveal session a few weeks after the photo session. But whenever we do it, watching her reaction is my favorite part! And helping guide her through the product choices is a crucial part.
I hope these tips prove helpful for you! I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. Or if you are ready to find out more about booking your own boudoir session you can reach me here, I’d love to chat with you!